Physical activity stimulates the brain to grow. The body and brain work together. Children need daily physical activity to develop physically as well as mentally.
Daily physical activity helps children:
- Keep a healthy weight
- Develop strength and flexibility
- Be calmer and more focused
Move an Hour or More Every Day
- Encourage at least an hour of daily physical activity…for kids AND adults.
- More than one hour of physical activity is good for children.
- Playing outside encourages running, jumping, skipping and hopping. This builds muscles.
- Take gradual steps to increase your physical activity level
- Don’t let screen time replace playtime.
- Encourage lifelong physical activity by incorporating physical activity into your daily routine.
- Do short amounts of activity several times a day until they add up to 60 or more minutes each day.
- Physical activity should be fun – swimming, paddling, walking, running, dancing, gardening and yes, even vacuuming!
Encourage Free & Fun Physical Activity!:
- Take your child to the park.
- Play tag, jump rope, throw Frisbee, ride bikes, dance.
- Take a walk with the family around the neighborhood.
- Dress your child for the weather and encourage outdoor play.
Play 1! Materials:
|1 Hour or More of Physical Activity Poster|
|1 Hour or More of Physical Activity Brochure|
|Sqord Activity Tracking|
|15 Ways to Keep Kids Active|
|50 Activities for Toddlers|