Schools reach children during an important period of development in an environment that can positively influence healthy behaviors. Combine this with educational goals focused on positive physical, social, emotional, and academic development and the classroom is an ideal location to support increased physical activity and healthy eating. Classrooms provide a safe environment for children to learn and practice the skills needed to support healthy behaviors for a lifetime!
5-2-1-0 in Schools
We understand schools have a unique set of challenges – limited hours, core educational objectives, and tight budgets – when it comes to providing key opportunities for healthy eating and physical activity. 5-2-1-0 addresses these challenges by working with school leaders – staff, school health coordinators, principals, and superintendents – to show them no-cost and low-cost, long lasting ways to incorporate 5-2-1-0 into existing activities in schools.
To address the policies, practices, and environments that influence healthy lifestyle behaviors, schools can use different strategies for success:
- Limit unhealthy choices for snacks and celebrations; provide healthy choices.
- Limit or eliminate sugary drinks; provide water.
- Prohibit the use of food as a reward.
- Provide opportunities to get physical activity every day.
- Limit recreational screen time.
- Participate in local, state, and national initiatives that support healthy eating and active living.
- Engage community partners to help support healthy eating and active living at your site.
- Partner with and educate families in adopting and maintaining a lifestyle that supports healthy eating and active living.
- Implement a staff wellness program that includes healthy eating and active living.
- Collaborate with Food and Nutrition Programs to offer healthy food and beverage options.