TV and other electronic media can get in the way of exploring, playing and interacting with others. Exploring and playing is crucial to brain development in young children. Touching, tasting, smelling, talking, movement and social interaction help children learn through their environment. The TV or computer cannot provide the same type of brain stimulation.
Healthy Screen Time:
- No TV/computer under the age of two
- No TV/computer in the room the child sleeps
- One hour of educational TV/computer time between the ages of two and five
- After the age of five, two hours or less
- Encourage your whole family to decrease screen time to 2 hours or less a day
- Keep the TV and computers in a central location and out of your child’s bedroom
- Enjoy your family – turn off the TV when eating and talk about the day
Try These Activities!:
- Keep books, magazines and board games in the family room.
- Tun on music and dance.
- Get outdoors!
- Play ball
Limit 2! Materials:
|2 Hours or Less of Screen Time Poster
|2 Hours or Less of Screen Time Brochure
|50 Activities for Toddlers
|12 Phone Apps to Control Screen Time
|Media Use & Your Child